Since 1994, LSNF’s Partners in Service members have provided essential financial support aiding victims of domestic violence, the homeless, seniors, rural outreach and children.
The Partners in Service Program is here to help the members of The Florida Bar meet the goals of the pro bono rule by allowing attorneys voluntarily to contribute financially to LSNF's staff supported and pro bono efforts.
"Everyone deserves legal representation. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford it. Legal Services of North Florida, Inc. is dedicated to making sure that those that may otherwise go unrepresented, due to financial limitations, can obtain legal representation.
The Florida Supreme Court recognizes the duty and professional obligation of its members to provide pro bono services. The intent of the Supreme Court rule is to increase professional voluntary services: yet, the Court is aware how important it can be to make contributions in other ways. With this in mind, LSNF offers an innovative program for you to meet your pro bono goal by becoming a partner through the contribution of funds." -- The late Justice Stephen C. O' Connell, Former Honorary Chair - Partners in Service Committee
Partners Choose How to Help
Partners Choice Program - When attorneys support LSNF they are giving an Opportunity for Justice for all! Choose to support a project below for which you have a particular interest or let your contribution help us provide specialized programs.
- Domestic Violence Project - LSNF represents spouses and children who are abused or living in abusive households. Inability if abused women to escape often leads to costs for medical treatment and criminal prosecution. Inability to remove children from abusive environments leads to similar resulting behavior from those children when they reach adulthood.
- Homeless Legal Representation Project - LSNF helps prevent homelessness by representing people in eviction and foreclosure proceedings, helping them restructure debt through bankruptcy, and prioritizing cases that enhance clients' resources. Once homeless, LSNF provides outreach services to secure benefits and resolve other legal problems that enable clients to regain a sense of self-determination.
- Elderly Representation Project - Eighteen percent of our eligible population is elderly. LSNF provide outreach to all of the senior citizens sites on a monthly basis throughout its service area. LSNF assists elderly clients by protecting them from abusive consumer practices, preparing wills and durable powers of attorney, and preparing income trusts to all the physically impaired to obtain nursing home or other institutional placements.
- Rural County Outreach Services - LSNF covers a 16-county area, from Jefferson County on the east to Escambia County on the west. LSNF has four offices from which we deliver services located in Tallahassee, Quincy, Panama City, Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola. Each office provides outreach services to the surrounding counties. Eligible citizens in our rural counties have difficult access problems to overcome in obtaining legal services. Because of the limited number of private lawyers in those counties to provide pro bono services, clients also have fewer alternatives.
- Children's Legal Representation Project - LSNF represents children with civil legal needs on a variety of issues including education, emancipation, and accessing mental health and other services. Many of these children are involved in the juvenile justice system or the dependency system.
Partners Benefit in Many Ways
- Community Service - Certificate of Compliance with The Florida Bar Pro Bono Rule sent to Partners upon receipt of payment of $100 or more.
- Charitable Giving – Partners receive a Section 501 (c) (3) income tax deduction for funds contributed. Click here for LSNF W-9 Form.
- Partner's Choice Program – Partners choose the LSNF project(s) their contribution will go.
- Recognition Program – Partners receive public recognition annually along with peers for providing valuable services to low income citizens in need of legal representation. View 2015 Law Day display ads in these area newspapers: 1st Circuit - Pensacola News Journal and Northwest Daily News; 2nd Circuit - Tallahassee Democrat; and, 14th Circuit - The News Herald.
- Donation to Important and Worthy Endeavor – Partners know that their contribution will provide an Opportunity for Justice and access to legal services for all eligible citizens of the community.
- Assistance for Active Pro Bono Partners - Partners who also accept pro bono referrals, LSNF will provide access to a law library in your area, professional legal support, access to pleadings in family, guardianship, and landlord/tenant law, and invitations to CLE trainings in support of your efforts. Also, malpractice insurance is available when handling pro bono cases.